Troubleshooting Tableau Data Ingestion Timeout Errors

Original Slack Thread

Hi all!!
I need help with data ingestion from Tableau. The ingestion process keeps failing, and I’m trying to figure out why. I’m using DataHub 0.13.0 with CLI 0.13.0, configuring the ingestion via the UI. The specific error message I’m getting is RuntimeError: Query workbooksConnection error: [{'message': 'Execution canceled because timeout of 30000 millis was reached', 'locations': []}]. Do you have any insights into the root cause of this issue?
This is my recipe

type: tableau
    config:
        stateful_ingestion:
            enabled: true
        connect_uri: '<https://xxxx.online.tableau.com>'
        project_pattern:
            allow:
                - 1.SHARED$
        ingest_owner: true
        ingest_tags: true
        token_name: xxxx
        token_value: '${xxxx}'
sink:
    type: datahub-rest
    config:
        server: 'http:/xxxx-gms:8080'
        token: xxxx```

Hey there! :wave: Make sure your message includes the following information if relevant, so we can help more effectively!

1. Are you using UI or CLI for ingestion?
  2. Which DataHub version are you using? (e.g. 0.12.0)
  3. What data source(s) are you integrating with DataHub? (e.g. BigQuery)

<@U06TM7M40RK> Can you help with the questions in this thread?

:information_source: We’re experimenting with a new AI assistant for questions in the <#CUMUWQU66> channel to help you track down helpful resources more quickly. Keep in mind that responses may not always be spot-on; feel free to ask it follow-up questions and don’t forget to provide its responses a :thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: so other folks in the Community know if you’re still looking for help on the topic!

I’m not able to find any data sources to answer your question. Could you provide more details about the specific issue or question you have regarding DataHub? If this doesn’t help, please reach out to the DataHub support team for further assistance. :+1: 0 button :-1: 1 button :bulb: Hint: Mention <@U06TM7M40RK> in the thread for followups.

<@U0724BEEP4H>, can anyone help me with this?

<@U04N9PYJBEW> might be of assistance here while RunLLM is having teething issues

<@U06TM7M40RK> are you able to provide insight on RuntimeError: Query workbooksConnection error: [{‘message’: ‘Execution canceled because timeout of 30000 millis was reached’, ‘locations’: }]

To address the RuntimeError: Query workbooksConnection error: [{'message': 'Execution canceled because timeout of 30000 millis was reached', 'locations': []}] issue, it seems like the query execution is timing out. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

1. Increase Timeout Settings: You can try increasing the timeout settings for your DataHub ingestion pipeline. This can be done by setting the timeout_sec parameter in your configuration. According to <Slack Slack thread>, you can refer to the <DataHub | DataHub documentation> for more details on how to configure this.

2. Check Network and Server Performance: Ensure that your network and server performance are optimal. Sometimes, network latency or server load can cause queries to time out.

3. Optimize Query: If possible, try to optimize the query being executed to reduce the execution time. This might involve indexing, query restructuring, or other database optimizations.

4. Debug Mode: Running the ingestion in debug mode can provide more insights into what might be causing the timeout. You can enable debug mode by using the --debug flag with the datahub ingest command. This was suggested in <Slack Slack thread>.

5. Check Tableau Configuration: Ensure that your Tableau configuration is correct, including the site parameter. Misconfiguration can sometimes lead to unexpected errors. This was discussed in <Slack Slack thread>.

Would you like more detailed steps on any of these points?

Sources:

• <Slack thread on timeout_sec>
  • <Slack thread on debug mode>
  • <DataHub | DataHub documentation>
  • <Slack Slack thread> :+1: 0 button :-1: 0 button :bulb: Hint: Mention @runllm in the thread for followups.

Hmm, I haven’t seen this timeout for tableau before. Your recipe looks pretty reasonable. <@U01GZEETMEZ> any ideas?

I also started getting this error with the Tableau ingest with the same version. It was working for several days. The only change that was recently made is updating to the latest version of Tableau cloud, but I’m not sure if that is the cause for me.

We’re looking into this, thanks for describing the issue!